Want to know how to get YouTube traffic?
Most people know that when it comes to search, Google is king. But if you were asked who sits behind them, who would you guess? Bing, Yahoo, Ask.com? Those would have been my guesses. Turns out, I would have been wrong. The answer is YouTube.
That means not only is uploading a video to YouTube a great way to repurpose your content and put it out in a compelling format, video, it’s also a great way to drive more traffic to your site through the second most popular search engine on the web. Let’s take a look at how to get YouTube traffic to your site.
- Create a great video. This seems obvious, but what makes a great video? First, make sure you get straight to the point. Who are you? What is this video about? Why should I keep watching? Focus on the really key parts of your message and don’t spend time rambling. In your main content, try to include a variety of visual formats. People don’t like to stare at talking heads for eight minutes, incorporate some action shots, still images, or maybe screen casts if that’s appropriate. Finally, end with a call to action.
- Have a Call to Action. Now that I’ve watched your video, what should I do next? There are a number of ways to do this, but all of them should make it easy on the viewer. One method is to end the video with the URL you are trying to send them to and also include that URL as the first link in your description (This way they don’t have to click “show more” in order to click on your URL).
- Tag your Video. Adding tags to your video is a way to tell YouTube and users what your video is about. If you do it correctly, it’s also a great way to drive traffic. One way is to create a TrueView campaign using YouTube. You can use the Google AdWords Keyword Tool to help, though it lacks some of the features in Google’s paid advertising tool. Another great way is to look at similar videos. What tags are they using that are also relevant to your video?
- Embed your video in your site. Once you’ve made a video, put it where your regular visitors can see it.
Benefits of YouTube
- If your YouTube video is ranking well, it can serve as another result in the SERPs that drives visitors to your site. (You did put your URL in the description section, right?)
- It uses a new format for your content to increase your reach and gives you access to a new section of the market that you may have overlooked before.
- If you embed it on your site, it increases the average time on page, one of the more important metric’s in Google’s eyes
- It improves your brand image. One of the main drawbacks to marketing on the Internet is that it can be impersonal. You don’t get the “face time” you would through other mediums like TV and radio. YouTube solves this!
So, what are you waiting for? Get YouTubing!